The Discipleship Ministry has been informally ongoing at Amwell Church of the Brethren for years, but it formally launched in September 2014. The purpose of this ministry is to partner new believers with mature Christians through 18 Biblical lessons designed to help them understand the basics of the Christian faith, i.e. what we believe and why we believe it. Discipleship is an opportunityto be more like Christ by loving others, giving of ourselves and developing others.
Lessons are typically held weekly at a time agreed upon by the two persons paired together. The lesson consists of basic teachings, several scripture readings and homework questions that are reviewed at the next session.
I. Your Relationship to the Lord
2. Eternal Security
3. The Word of God
4. The Holy Spirit
5. Quiet Time
II. Your Relationship to the Family of God
8. The Will of God
9. Dealing with Sin
10. Other Christians
11. The Local Church
III. Your Relationship to the World
12. The Unsaved World
13. Wealth and Worldly Goods
14. My Job and Employer
15. Liberty in Christ
IV. Your Relationship to the Work of Christ
18. The Judgment Seat of Christ
Why should we disciple?
• All authority has been given unto Jesus; therefore, He delegated us to teach the nations (Matthew 28:18-20)
• Learning is a lifelong effort and should be intentional. The Bible often lists together knowledge, wisdom and understanding (Hebrews 5:11-14)
Who should be discipled?
• New believers in Jesus Christ (I Peter 2:2)
• People who want to learn and grow in grace and knowledge of their Lord and Savior (II Peter 3:18)
How should discipling be handled?
• With gentleness, like a nursing mother (I Thessalonians 2:7-13)
• There will be mutual growth for both the disciple and disciplee (Proverbs 27:17)